Although my heart is saying spring, where I’m at the weather is not yet so nice. Regardless of this fact, it’s never too early to get a jump start on cleaning and organizing your life and mind! Sometimes this daunting task can seem overwhelming and you may not even be sure where to start.
Decluttering your physical space.
It’s often difficult to part with your belongings and if you’re anything like me, you can easily justify exactly why you should hang it back up in the shadowy depths of your closet, to be reckoned with another day. It’s important to go through and evaluate what is really important to us and what’s not. Eliminating all the extra distractions and clutter hugely decreases stress and will give you a fresh start to the warmer months!
Important things to ask yourself when going through your closet include:
– Have I used or worn this item in the past year? If you haven’t used it in the past year of even 6 months, chances are that you probably aren’t going to use it any time soon.
– Do I realistically have plans to use or wear this item in the near future (and does or will it fit properly?). Is this a formal dress you have plans to use shortly? If so, then fine, you can keep it. If not, don’t trick yourself into keeping the clutter.
– Is the only reason that you’ve kept this item because it holds sentimental value for some reason? Is this your favorite skirt from high school but will probably not fit again? Is it a t-shirt that you CANNOT part with but can instead have a portion held in a picture frame?
– Is this item of something that I feel absolutely amazing when wearing? If the answer is maybe, sometimes, or no, the item can probably go.
Decluttering your mental space.
Cleaning up your mental space can often be a bit more challenging and proves to take a more conscious and consistent effort on our parts. But nevertheless, it can and should be done so that we can live in our best and happiest state.
Ways to declutter and clean up your mental space include:
– Regularly practicing gratitude. Making gratitude a priority will shift your frame of mind from the negative to the positive, ridding it of some of those pesky thoughts.
– Be patient with yourself and the people around you. What you show others, you’ll receive in return. Manifesting a patient and caring environment inside and out of your mind will enrich
– Let go of the thoughts that aren’t currently serving you. Dwelling on thoughts from the past or thoughts that are negatively affecting you are a waste of your time and energy. Use that time and energy for anything more productive toward you and your happiest mental space.
– Practice positive self-talk and affirmations. Just like regularly practicing gratitude, regularly practicing positive self-talk and affirmations completely re-wires the way you think to be more positive, supportive, and happy and have less negative thoughts.
– Meditate. This exercise for your mind helps you to be more mentally clear, have less racing thoughts, and to feel more centered and calm.
Spring cleaning is important in many different ways and gives a lot of us a fresh start to warmer weather. It’s hard to get started, hard to get through, but always rewarding. What are your favorite ways to spring clean? Hope everyone has a great start to their week!