- Start using positive affirmations and self-talk. When you say bad things about yourself, even in a joking manner, it creates a negative thought process in your mind and effects your self-esteem. Instead, try telling yourself that you are doing your best and that your best is just perfect. Go over the things that you’re doing well instead of focusing on the negative.
- Interrupt those negative thoughts right when they begin, before they’ve been able to build momentum and become harmful. Try thinking something positive instead, change your environment, read a book.
- Celebrate all your wins. Whether it’s small or big, all your victories and accomplishments are deserving of celebration. It’s important to reward yourself for all your hard work!
- Forgive yourself for, and forget mistakes you may have made in the past. Your past doesn’t define you, nor should it define how you are living or feeling today. You deserve to be happy, feel better, and be free of those things. Learn from them, forgive yourself, and move on.
- Don’t compare yourself to other people. It’s never fair because you’re not comparing apples to apples. Everyone’s life is different. You need to see that you are doing such a great job right where you re, and celebrate for your peers who are in other places also doing great things.
- Utilize great self-care! Good self-esteem is built on top of the groundwork of treating yourself right. Be kind yourself and treat you like your best friend would.
If you’re anything like me and struggle with your self-esteem, I hope you can use this post as a reminder that you are worthy of love (especially from you!), you’re doing great things, and that self-esteem takes some work and practice. Hopefully some of these things you’re familiar with and a few of them you can start trying. Every day is a journey and I’m right there with you!