- Someone very wise once told me that instead of dreading something big coming up at work, I should change my perspective and continuously tell myself how lucky I was to have this opportunity or what a positive impact I was going to have on my peers. Just this small change in perspective has been successful in changing my whole outlook (and amount of fear/apprehension) on situations
- Even though this is one that I still sometimes struggle with, one of the greatest lessons I’ve ever learned is not to compare your life or journey to any other person’s. That comparison is never going to be parallel or equal and it’s always going to end up with your feelings hurt, not to mention that comparisons are just not good for your mental health! Wherever you are, you are doing your best, you are kicking butt, and you’re right where you should be.
- Although procrastination sounds like fun, looks like fun, and is easy to talk yourself into, IT IS NOT A GOOD TIME. Just get started on a task, especially if it’s a huge one, and especially if it has a deadline. Nobody likes to sweat, missing out on sleep, filled with regrets wishing they’d just passed up procrastinating! You’ll feel a weight lifted off you once it’s complete and have avoided all of that anxiety.
- Live your life to please yourself. It’s unfortunate but it’s true: not everyone will like you; not everyone will approve of what you’re doing in life. I’ve been very fortunate that the key players in my life and most important people to me have been in the stands cheering me on the whole way. But there have definitely been people all along the journey questioning me and my decisions. Life is way too short, it’s so important that you’re living for you.
- Be kind to everyone. It’s so very easy to be kind to people and we just don’t know what other people are going through. Some small reaction out of irritation from one person could ruin another person’s day. It’s important to be mindful how our actions impact other people’s lives.
- Love with your whole heart, all the time.In my opinion, there’s not much more powerful than love and I embrace all the people I am lucky enough to receive it from constantly. There’s a lot to be said for reminding someone that you love them.
Although I’ve only had 25 years to gather these wonderful tidbits of wisdom, I’m always growing and learning. What’s the greatest thing you have learned in life so far? Is there something you wish you would have known sooner?