Whether you’re intolerant, have an allergy, or are just trying to be your most healthy self, cutting gluten out of your diet may feel very overwhelming when you first begin your journey. I know I was certainly overwhelmed when I was first diagnosed with my allergy. I would arrive to the grocery story, gluten scanning app open and ready, scanning things I thought might be appropriate. I would be constantly disappointed and confused when things would say “may contain gluten” or “contains gluten”. I thought I’d never be able to be normal again. I went through a several month-long phase of eating mostly vegetables because I just wasn’t figuring out what was suitable to my new lifestyle needs. I hope no one else has to endure this kind of confusion or defeat, and to try to ensure that they don’t, I’ve compiled some of my very favorite gluten free snacks!
– Quest protein cookies. Not all flavors are gluten free, however it’s labeled on the wrappers. My go-to flavors are the peanut butter, oatmeal raisin, and chocolate chip.
– Olly protein bars. All of these are vegan friendly and gluten free!
– Rice cakes and peanut butter! I love to add some chocolate chips or raisins as well when I am craving something sweet.
– Homemade trail mixes. I love to add all kinds of mixed nuts to this (my favorites are cashews, walnuts, almonds, and plain sunflower seeds but you can add anything you like! Be sure that they are regular nuts, nothing added so that there isn’t any hidden gluten). I also love to add raisins, various dried fruits (be sure these are labeled GF as well), chocolate chips, and sometimes even some GF granola! Kind makes an awesome assortment of GF granola.
– Pickles wrapped in GF deli meat. This is one of my personal favorites! It’s definitely one that has to be eaten in moderation, though as it’s very high in sodium. My favorite GF deli meat is Boar’s Head.
– Cucumbers, your choice of cheese, (add pickles if you’d like), and GF deli meat. Another amazingly delicious one that should be consumed in moderation.
– Fruit salad. Pick 5 of your favorite fruits, slice them up in a big bowl at the beginning of your week and you’ll have snacks for days!
– Most corn chips are GF and you can enjoy them with salsa and queso! Always a classic.
– Sabra hummus and vegetables! You can use any veggies you like but my favorites to use are carrots, cucumbers, and celery.
– Popchip potato chips. These are GF and addicting! I have a tough time eating just a few.
– Popcorn! If you’re looking for an extra crunch you can add in some regular M&Ms or peanuts.
– Apples or bananas and peanut butter or almond butter.
– Vanilla Greek yogurt with the GF granola and fruit of your choice.
– Gluten free pretzels.
I hope this short list helps to guide you to make fun and healthy gluten free choices and gives hope to those of you who have been struggling starting off your GF journey. Anyone have any gluten free favorites they’d love to share? I am always on the lookout! 🙂